1. Let them know you’re listening.
2. Show your support.
3. Encourage them to keep talking – and really listen.
4. Ask them about changes in their life and how they are coping.
5. Be direct if you suspect they’re thinking about suicide.
6. Stay calm if they tell you they’re thinking about killing themselves.
7. Follow their lead and know when to take a break.
8. Suggest they could benefit from professional help.
9. Help them connect to professional help.
10. If they’re concerned about privacy, assure them that mental health treatment is closely protected.
11. If they’re not in immediate danger, be patient and don’t push too hard.
12. End the convo by reminding them you’re so glad to connect with them.